This position is responsible for the successful propagation, production and horticultural care of blueberry plants grown in the nurseries to meet the goal of producing Fall Creek brand compliant crops within the established budget.
This position primarily reports to the Operations Manager and is responsible for directly supervising the Propagation Manager and leadership positions in production. May directly supervise other positions performing work at the nurseries.
May work directly with outside agencies, consultants and vendors.
Office, nursery and greenhouse setting. Evening, weekend and work over the holidays may be required. Domestic and international travel required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Primarily responsible for managing plant production and horticultural care of the crop which includes propagation, transplanting, growing, spacing, weeding, shearing, grading (quality control), packing, and disease monitoring and contro. Ensures adherence to standard processes.
- Collaborates with the Fall Creek team, both internationally and locally to see that horticultural practices such as nutrition management, pruning, irrigation, scouting, disease monitoring and insect control are managed properly.
- Provides guidance and makes decisions related to irrigation, fertilization & pesticide applications. Provides guidance and instructions for workers to comply with health and safety protocols and personal protective equipment requirements when handling chemicals. Provide instructions for the safe and secure storage of chemicals, fertilizers and related substances.
- Oversees the successful implementation of the propagation and production plans for nurseries. Manages the potting operations. Responsible for the timely set up and maintenance of production equipment. Notifies management of any issues or problems in a timely manner. Maintains inventory of production supplies and materials and ensures their safe and secure storage.
- Schedules and manages production labor needs in a cost-efficient manner. Maintains positive relationships between workers and employees. Promotes a culture of teamwork, quality, and performance. Responsible for providing a legally compliant and respectful workplace for all employees and people performing work at nurseries.
- Supervises, develops and coaches department personnel. Sets performance goals and objectives, development plans and conducts timely performance appraisals. Establishes and maintains good morale, motivation, and recognition of accomplishment in all employees.
- Promotes a culture of teamwork, quality and performance. Responsible for providing a legally compliant and respectful workplace for everyone performing work at the nursery.
- Establishes training programs accordingly to needs.
- Collaborates with the Regional Director and Director of Production on developing the annual budget. Responsible for operating within the approved amounts. Actively manages expenditures and provides all documentation and receipts to the accounting department in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the health and safety programs. Responsible for ensuring work is completed in a safe and respectful manner.
- Provides ready dates and other crop data to assist the shipping and sales functions. Promotes collaboration and good communication between the production and sales departments.
- Coordinates the movement of product and materials between Fall Creek locations.
- Assists with hosting customers, guests, events, and other visitors to the nurseries. Attends industry-related meetings and tradeshows as directed.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
- Assists with maintaining confidentiality and safe keeping of proprietary varieties.
- Assures the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the nurseries.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to the standards set forth in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in horticulture or related area of plant sciences or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires 5+ years’ experience as a grower, agronomy engineer or related position in a greenhouse setting.
- Requires technical plant knowledge in production agriculture.
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in a supervisory or management position with proven ability to manage, develop and mentor staff.
- Language skills in English.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; excellent time management, organizational, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop clear action plans and drive processes with many interdependencies.
- Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present information in writing and verbally to peers and management.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members, develop strong relationships, and maintain a positive attitude. Must be able to exercise good judgment and recognize scope of authority.
- Must have a commitment to quality. Must be results driven and customer focused.
- Ability and willingness to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to travel internationally for company business or attend events off-site. Requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to maintain a valid license plus an acceptable (insurable) driving record.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
- General knowledge of hydroponics, plant tissue culture and conventional plant propagation techniques.
- Knowledge or previous experience with SAP.
- Other language skills.
To apply for this position, please email your C.V. and Cover Letter to Fall Creek South Africa at firstname.lastname@example.org