POSITION TITLE: Commercial Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales & Marketing and Regional Director
DATE: April 2019
This position is primarily responsible for the development and successful execution of the Fall Creek sales strategy in core territories.
This position reports to the Director of Sales & Marketing and the Regional Director. The Commercial Manager supervises and directs the customer service, product and grower support team and independent sales contractors in the assigned territories. This position collaborates with other managers and departments in the company and has frequent interactions with visitors and guests of Fall Creek.
This position is a member of the Fall Creek Global Sales Team and represents the company to commercial customers, associations and other industry groups.
Office, field, and nursery setting. Requires domestic and international travel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Collaborates with the Director of Sales and Marketing to develop the regional commercial sales strategy that is in line with the global strategy. Responsible for managing all commercial sales in the assigned region.
- Oversees commercial key account relationships to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Executes sales activities with results measured against the sales plan and holds the customer service, product and grower support team and independent sales contractors accountable for achieving sales goals.
- Works closely with the Director of Sales and Marketing & Regional Director to create the department budget and operates within the approved amounts.
- Collaborates with the Director of Sales and Marketing and the staff to develop an accurate crop forecast that reflects future market demand.
- Collaborates with the Director of Product Development & Commercialization and others in the department to ensure the successful implementation of the global licensing strategy in the region.
- Responsible for managing the crop forecast and collaborates with the Regional Director and production department to meet production timelines. Manages inventory risk and speculation.
- Supervises employee(s) on a daily basis. This includes goal setting, training and development and addressing both positive and negative performance issues. Coaches and develops employees to improve job performance when appropriate. Ensures that performance discussions are completed in a timely manner. Establishes and maintains good morale, motivation, and recognition of accomplishments.
- Provides leadership to the day-to-day operations of the sales department, while maintaining focus on the company’s strategic goals and company culture. Establishes and implements short and long term departmental goals.
- Monitors intellectual property (IP) concerns. Works closely with the Product Development and Commercialization and Business Development departments to develop recommendations on managing infringements that may occur.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with customers, industry influencers and key industry representatives. Gathers information on competitors, customers, and trends and makes recommendations to take advantage of market opportunities.
- Provides direction for handling cases of product failure, customer complaints and problems by analyzing each situation and coordinating their resolution with the help of the production department. Assists the customer service team with customer relations as needed.
- Collaborates with the marketing team on planning and execution of advertising and marketing plans for the commercial markets.
- Assures that proper communication, information sharing, and collaboration are achieved within the commercial sales team and between other departments.
- Provides input and recommendations for new products and varieties and contributes to their commercialization and acceptance in the marketplace.
- Collaborates with IT on technology needs, implementation of systems, and instituting related process changes.
- Responsible for overseeing the scheduling of and planning for visits to the nursery from existing and prospective customers. Supports the product and grower support team with hosting educational seminars for customers as needed.
- Represents Fall Creek to visitors and guests and attends tradeshows, events, customer meetings, and other venues to assist with presenting and promoting Fall Creek products. May speak on topics concerning the company and the industry.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
- Assures the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning our customers and business.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to the standards set forth in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Horticulture or related field.
- Requires 10+ years of related sales management experience preferably in the fresh produce industry.
- Minimum of 5+ years in a supervisory or management position in a sales environment with proven ability to manage, develop and mentor staff.
- Language skills in English.
- Experience with planning, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Requires a proven track record of developing strategy and executing a sales plan with an understanding of the global market, preferably with fruit or ornamental crops.
- Requires an understanding of intellectual property and royalty administration.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present information in formal and informal settings to peers, customers and industry leaders.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines with strict attention to detail and prioritization.
- Able to understand complex business and political relationships.
- Able to work as part of a team with internal departments and with other professionals in the industry. Strong collaboration skills.
- Requires good judgment and the ability to positively influence team decision making and operations.
- Ability to develop clear action plans and drive processes with many interdependencies.
- Demonstrated record of success in a multicultural environment and ability to work effectively with diverse communities.
- Ability and willingness to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics, or related field.
- Technical expertise in soil fertility, water chemistry, plant disease mechanisms, or other agronomic practices.
- Previous experience working with an ERP system, preferably SAP Business One.