Do you love blueberries? For 40 years, Fall Creek Farm & Nursery® has cultivated exceptional blueberry plants for customers all over the globe. We propagate, grow, sell, and ship millions of plants every single year. Our products are second to none, in part, because we have high standards, superb growing conditions, and most importantly, good people.
If this sounds like a company that you want to be a part of, we have an immediate opening for experienced Production Lab Manager at our headquarters outside of Eugene, Oregon.
Production Lab Manager
The Production Lab Manager is responsible for the TC lab production processes which includes supervision, training and development of the employees in order to meet the goal of delivering high quality blueberry plants on time.
This is a hands-on management position that reports to the Molecular Lab Manager and supervises the positions in the production side of the lab.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
- Responsible for TC plant production in the lab to meet the goal of delivering high quality blueberry plants on time and within budget. This includes ensuring planting targets are met, materials are available, and plants meet quality standards.
- Responsible for developing the production plan to ensure the production of a sufficient number of plants of the correct varieties are available at the specified times.
- Ensures that staffing levels are adequate to meet the production plan. Responsible for creating a collaborative, supportive and respectful work environment.
- Supervises, coaches and develops direct reports. Ensures that performance discussions are completed in a timely manner. Establishes and maintains good morale, motivation, and recognition of accomplishments.
- Recommends measures to improve performance and quality and suggest changes in working conditions to improve efficiencies. Analyzes and resolves work problems in a timely manner.
- Promotes continuous improvement and innovation of tissue culture techniques. Trials and implements new and improved methods.
- Stays current on new developments in plant tissue culture and maintains written Standard Operating Procedures for all activities.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of plants. Manages systems to track and monitor inventory of all cultures initiated, in production as well as historical records.
- Ensures compliance with laws and regulations for safety and that the work performed is conducted in a safe, efficient manner.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
- Assures the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the nursery and lab.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in biology, microbiology, plant pathology or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires 3+ years’ experience working in a plant tissue culture lab.
- Requires 2+ years supervisory or leadership experience with direct responsibility for managing and developing staff.
- Knowledge and experience with tissue culture propagation methods and knowledge of conventional plant propagation techniques.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members, develop strong relationships, and maintain a positive attitude. Must be able to exercise good judgment and positively influence team decision making.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present information in formal and informal settings.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
For consideration as a candidate or to suggest a prospective candidate, please contact in confidence: