Do you love blueberries?
For more than 40 years Fall Creek Farm & Nursery has cultivated exceptional blueberry plants for customers all over the globe. We propagate, grow, sell, and ship millions of plants every single year. Our products are second to none, in part, because we have high standards, superb growing conditions, and most importantly, good people.
Our vision: To be the premier provider of select plants and solutions that improve the health of humanity.
We have an exciting opportunity for a European Breeder in our nursery located in Aznalcazar, Spain.
European Blueberry Breeder
The EU Blueberry Breeder is a member of Fall Creek’s global breeding team and is responsible for the successful development of new varieties for no chill and low chill blueberries and the evaluation of varieties from affiliated Fall Creek and various third-party programs. Frequent domestic and international travel is required.
Essential Duties: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Responsible for the successful implementation of Fall Creek’s short and long term breeding program strategies to develop exceptional no to high chill and low chill blueberry varieties.
- Responsible for the implementation of all phases of the breeding program including designing crosses, field evaluations and selection, post-harvest fruit evaluation, and maintenance of a healthy and diverse germplasm base.
- Responsible for the accurate collection, analysis, and reporting of trial plot and post-harvest data.
- Collaborates closely with the LATAM Blueberry Breeder and U.S. Blueberry Breeders as well as Applied Research. Supports their efforts by coordinating services central to the Spain facility including clean plant/foundation plant establishment, tissue culture mother bank, virus/disease testing, true-to-type testing, and other such services.
- Collaborates with the Fall Creek team, both internationally and locally to see that horticultural practices such as nutrition management, pruning, pollination, disease and insect control are managed properly.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the company and ensures safekeeping of proprietary varieties.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Training:
- Typically requires a PhD in plant breeding, plant genetics or related discipline with research specializing in plant breeding, or Masters degree and 5+ years of plant breeding experience.
- Minimum of 2+ years in a supervisory or management position with proven ability to manage, develop and mentor staff.
- Experience with breeding perennial or woody crops, preferably in fruits.
- Bilingual language skills in Spanish and English.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
To Apply: For immediate, confidential consideration, please send cover letter and resume with the reference Policy Officer to Eva Mahón