Propogations Manger Job Specification
POSITION TITLE: Propagations Manager
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
DATE: April 2019
The Propagation Manager is responsible for implementing the transplanting, fertilizing, irrigation, storage and shipment plans for the propagation plants. This position is also responsible for supporting the day to day operations of the department including employee supervision and development.
This position reports to the Production Manager. Responsible for directly supervising the leadership positions in propagation.
May work directly with outside agencies, consultants and vendors.
Office and nursery setting. Domestic and international travel required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Responsible for implement the crop plan for propagation.
- Responsible for forecasting micro cuttings needs based on the crop plan and schedules the delivery of plant material to ensure timelines are met.
- Works closely with the micro propagation laboratories for new cultivar initiation as well as maintenance of existing cultures.
- Monitors and ensures that optimum environments exist in the greenhouses for the rooting of hardwood, softwood, and unrooted micro cuttings.
- Develops fertilizer and pesticide schedules.
- Assesses and tracks the available useable and saleable plants to ensure that the specific targeted number for each cultivar is available. Ensures that all plant movements including transfers, shrink and new plantings are accounted for in inventory.
- Responsible for operating within the approved budget amounts. Actively manages expenditures and provides all documentation and receipts to the accounting department in a timely manner.
- Provides leadership to the day-to-day operations of the department. Establishes and implements short and long term departmental goals.
- Supervises, develops and coaches department personnel. Sets performance goals and objectives, development plans and conducts timely performance appraisals. Establishes and maintains good morale, motivation, and recognition of accomplishment in all employees.
- Plans and budgets for the labor hours required in the department. Responsible for establishing the work schedule and managing the labor hours to plan.
- Provides reporting and analysis on the propagation activities and labor on a regular basis.
- Ensures supplies are ordered in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Ensures the propagation facilities and equipment are properly maintained.
- Ensures that the work performed is conducted in a safe, efficient manner.
- Represents Fall Creek to visitors and guests and attends industry-related meetings and tradeshows as needed.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
- Assists with maintaining confidentiality and safekeeping of proprietary varieties.
- Assures the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the nurseries.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Adheres to the standards set forth in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, plant science or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires 5+ year’s experience in plant propagation in the nursery industry.
- Minimum of 3+ years in a supervisory or management position in a sales environment with proven ability to manage, develop and mentor staff.
- Knowledge of plant tissue culture and conventional plant propagation techniques.
- Full understanding of greenhouse controls for all forms of irrigation including misting, fogging, and micro-irrigation.
- Language skills in English.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; excellent time management, organizational, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop clear action plans and drive processes with many interdependencies.
- Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present information in writing and verbally to peers and management.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members, develop strong relationships, and maintain a positive attitude. Must be able to exercise good judgment and recognize scope of authority.
- Must have a commitment to quality. Must be results-driven and customer-focused.
- Ability and willingness to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to travel internationally for company business or attend events off-site. Requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to maintain a valid license plus an acceptable (insurable) driving record.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
- Specific experience in blueberries or similar horticultural crop.
- Knowledge or previous experience with SAP.
- Other language skills.
To apply for this position, please email your C.V. and Cover Letter to Fall Creek South Africa at firstname.lastname@example.org