Do you love blueberries? For 40 years, Fall Creek has cultivated exceptional blueberry plants for customers all over the globe. We propagate, grow, sell, and ship millions of plants every single year. Our products are second to none, in part, because we have high standards, superb growing conditions, and most importantly, good people!
If this sounds like a company that you want to be a part of, we have an immediate opening for an experienced Applied Research Lead at our nursery in Tala, located just outside of Guadalajara.
Applied Research Lead-LATAM
The Applied Research Lead is responsible for providing research and technical support and services to internal Fall Creek departments and commercial customers in Latin America. This position will lead and conduct research to provide best-practice solutions to supply chain and customers in variety selection and growing practices aimed at maximizing the opportunities for success.
As the Applied Research Lead for Latin America, this position provides the opportunity for travel within Mexico and to South America.
This position reports to the Applied Research Manager and works closely with internal departments such as R&D, product management and sales. The Applied Research Lead is a member of the Global Research and Development Team and represents the company to customers, associations and other industry groups.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Provides a high level of technical support services to commercial customers in the assigned region.
- Conducts in-depth analyses of production/growing issues of key customers.
- Communicate to breeders, product managers and other sales managers with regards to trends, issues, and needs of the customers that may be genetics-related from working in the field with growers.
- Works together with variety development, product management and grower support to focus on customer success with Fall Creek plants and genetics.
- Provides training as appropriate to growers on new and/or improved production practices.
- Assists customers with variety selection. This includes selection for location, climate and growing conditions, ripening time, yields, flavor, and berry quality.
- Facilitates and directs customers to ensure proper sampling and evaluation of soil and water chemistry, plant nutrition and any crop health issues.
- Assists the field-testing department at the off and on-site trial sites by coordinating plantings, providing assistance for cultural care, and conducting variety evaluation.
- Responsible for management of research-oriented row trialing blocks, including data collection and dissemination.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, crop science or related field.
- Requires 5+ years horticultural support experience, agronomic management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong understanding of soil & water chemistry, plant nutrition, fertigation systems, irrigation design and field management.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Requires the ability to collaborate with other departments to develop and execute effective technical services strategies for successful blueberry plantings.
- Requires a proven track record of building successful, professional relationships including the ability to interact with customers as well as colleagues.
- Proficient with MS Office products.
- Ability to effectively gather, sort and analyze data and report findings as part of professional technical services performance.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members and maintain a positive attitude. Must be able to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
- Requires a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
For consideration for this position, please submit your C.V. in English, to Trudy Hylemon, Director of Talent Acquisition, TrudyH@fallcreeknursery.com