Fall Creek is the world's leading blueberry nursery stock company. At Fall Creek, it is our mission to serve the growers and to support the blueberry industry. This in turn helps to ensure that our customers maximize success through our delivery of the best genetics and plants, technical know-how and global market intelligence. To fulfill our mission, we focus on cultivating exceptional plants, building strong relationships and providing responsive customer service. This is all part of how we’re helping to build A World with Better Blueberries™!
Fall Creek has the industry's largest portfolio of leading varieties and continues to introduce new varieties from its private breeding program and breeding program partners.
We are excited to announce that Fall Creek has an opportunity for an experienced Blueberry Breeder to join our team in Europe and work in our program located near Aznalcazar, Spain.
European Blueberry Breeder
The EU Blueberry Breeder is a member of Fall Creek’s global breeding team and is responsible for the successful development of new varieties for no chill and low chill blueberries and the evaluation of varieties from affiliated Fall Creek and various third-party programs.
This is a hands-on management level, applied breeding position which reports to the Director Product Development and Commercialization. The EU Blueberry Breeder supervises the technical team and other employees in the department. This position collaborates with and supports the Fall Creek breeding and technical teams in the US (Oregon) and Latin America (Mexico).
In collaboration with the broader breeding team, this position will coordinate breeding and evaluation activities on-site in Spain and at various trial sites worldwide.
- Successfully implements Fall Creek’s short- and long-term breeding program strategies to develop exceptional no to high chill and low chill blueberry varieties.
- Responsible for the implementation of all phases of the breeding program including designing crosses, field evaluations and selection, post-harvest fruit evaluation, and maintenance of a healthy and diverse germplasm base.
- Collaborates closely with the LATAM Blueberry Breeder and U.S. Blueberry Breeders as well as Applied Research. Supports their efforts by coordinating services central to the Spain facility including clean plant/foundation plant establishment, tissue culture mother bank, virus/disease testing, true-to-type testing, and other such services.
- Works closely with breeders in programs around the world to trial advanced material, provide data and feedback, and influence release decisions that support Fall Creek’s goal of bringing the best varieties to market.
- Assists Applied Research in the development of basic cultural recommendations for new varieties to determine the most successful outcomes.
- Collaborates with legal and product management with intellectual property rights by directing patent data and PBR data collection as required.
- In conjunction with Fall Creek’s IT department and other breeders, assumes a leadership position in the operation and continued development of Fall Creek’s custom breeding software.
- Keeps abreast of developments in emerging technologies and collaborates with the breeding team to adopt technologies that will improve the quality and efficiencies of the program.
- Supervises, coaches and develops direct reports through goal setting and training and development. Establishes and maintains good morale, motivation, and recognition of accomplishments in employees.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the company and ensures safe keeping of proprietary varieties.
The EU Blueberry Breeder requires a PhD in plant breeding, plant genetics or related discipline with research specializing in plant breeding, or Master’s degree and 5+ years of plant breeding experience. The ideal candidate will have a passion for breeding and a willingness to learn the blueberry industry.
- Minimum of 2+ years in a supervisory or management position with proven ability to manage, develop and mentor staff.
- Experience with breeding perennial or woody crops, preferably in fruits.
- Sound knowledge of traditional plant breeding methods and a strong working knowledge of breeding-assisted technologies.
- Familiarity and basic experience with state-of-the-art DNA based breeding technologies.
- Bilingual language skills in Spanish and English.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other scientists, breeders, and professionals in the industry in achieving goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively present information in formal and informal settings to peers, customers and industry leaders.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
Position requires an executed Proprietary Information, Assignment of Inventions
and Restrictive Covenants as part of the employment contract
For immediate consideration, please contact in confidence:
Director of Talent Acquisition