Do you love blueberries? For 40 years, Fall Creek Farm & Nursery® has cultivated exceptional blueberry plants for customers all over the globe. We propagate, grow, sell, and ship millions of plants every single year. Our products are second to none, in part, because we have high standards, superb growing conditions, and most importantly, good people.
If this sounds like a company that you want to be a part of, we have an immediate opening for experienced Molecular Lab Manager at our headquarters outside of Eugene, Oregon.
Molecular Lab Manager
Our Molecular Lab Manager is responsible for the successful operation of Fall Creek’s plant tissue culture (TC) laboratory which includes genomics testing and in-vitro plant production. We have just completed the expansion of our lab to include dedicated research space and equipment. This is an exciting leadership position that oversees and operates this state-of-the-art facility.
Our Molecular Lab Manager reports to the Director of Production and directly supervises and collaborates with the Clean Plant Program Manager and Production Lab Manager.
If you enjoy traveling, this position may be for you. This position also works with external consultants, researchers, vendors and other TC lab providers which are located around the world.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
- Responsible for the oversight, management and outcomes of Fall Creek’s Clean Plant Initiative and TC plant production program.
- Provides leadership for the day-to-day operations of the lab while maintaining focus on the company’s strategic goals.
- Designs, implements, and leads initiatives for all production and research functions in the lab to meet the goal of delivering high quality plants.
- Oversees the Clean Plant Initiative. This includes oversight and setup of the genomics lab, testing (PRC, QPCR, and related) and reporting.
- Oversees the production plan to ensure the lab can produce a sufficient number of quality plants with the correct varieties at specified times, on budget. Ensures the successful initiation of plants in the lab.
- Supervises, coaches and develops direct reports.
- Acts as the lead on projects to build or acquire new lab facilities around the world.
- Responsible for preparing the annual budget and monthly forecasts.
- Oversees lab safety and ensures that the lab remains in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Develops, supports and recommends continuous improvements in efficiencies, innovation, and product quality.
- Supports, perpetuates and enhances Fall Creek’s core values and corporate culture.
- Assures the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the nursery and lab.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING:
- Typically requires a PhD in microbiology, plant pathology or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires 5+ years’ experience as a researcher, lab manager or related position working in a plant tissue culture lab or closely related facility (i.e.: diagnostic, testing lab).
- Minimum of 2+ years in a supervisory or management position with proven ability to manage, develop and mentor staff.
- Knowledge and experience with tissue culture propagation methods and knowledge of conventional plant propagation techniques.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of research methodologies and laboratory analytical methods in plant tissue culture and genomics.
- Requires experience in laboratory procedures and data analysis including interpretation and presentation of data.
- Requires good judgment and the ability to positively influence team decision making.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
Position requires an executed Proprietary Information, Assignment of Inventions and Restrictive Covenants Agreement.
For consideration as a candidate or to suggest a prospective candidate, please contact in confidence: